Tuesday 27 November 2018

TESTIMONY 34

TESTIMONY 34

Name: Mr. Arogya Showrilu 
Surname: Vemuri 
Name of the Wife: Susheelyamma Vemuri 
Date & Place of Birth: Manikonda Village 
Address: Manikonda Village, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh State 
Relationship: Direct Witness. 
Date of Written Witness: 14-01-1968

I was suffering from stomach pain, indigestion, cataract loss for 6 months. I have consulted many doctors but not cured. In 1939 in the month of September, I went to Peddavutapally to the house of my brother-in-law, Boyapati Francis and my sister Claramma. By the time, they were baptized with the help of Brother Joseph Thamby and became Christians. Before that they were Hindus. They had female children but no male child. They asked Brother Joseph Thamby to pray for a male child. He said that they had to believe in Mother Mary and recite Rosary every day and having devotion to Jesus they had to come to the Church on every Sunday, participate in the Mass and receive Holy Communion. He blessed them saying that they would soon have a male child and he went away. He built an altar in their house with his own hands and kept a statue of St. Francis of Assisi. When I came to their house, I told to my sister Claramma about my sickness. She asked me, “Do not worry about sickness, it will go; but will you accept Christ afterwards?” I gave her a word that I would receive baptism. She prayed for 9 weeks fasting on every Friday. I was soon cured. We went back to Manikonda village. With us came Boyapati Francis, Claramma and others from Peddavutapally to Manikonda. I have decided to build an altar at home. 

One day in the morning 7o clock, Brother Joseph Thamby came to our house in Manikonda village. He blessed the work of constructing the altar and he was there with us till it was finished by evening. Manikonda was under Uppuluru parish and so we have invited Uppuluru parish priest to celebrate Mass. He celebrated Mass and went away. Next day, Brother Joseph Thamby also left. I and my wife have not yet received baptism. We were very often going to Peddavutapally and thus became close to Brother Joseph Thamby. 

On 31 March 1940, both of us have received baptism in the Church at Peddavutapally by Fr. Calderaro. Brother Joseph Thamby used to visit our house in Manikonda now and then. We used to pray together at the altar. Sometimes while praying he used fall on the ground and used to get stigmata. It used to remain for an hour. He used to wipe the wounds with white clothes. We have witnessed to his stigmata at my home for 4 to 5 times. There was a teacher namely Thelagathoti Paul in R.C.M. School in Manikonda village. Brother Joseph Thamby was very close to him also. He died now. His wife and relatives are there. They also know many things about Brother Joseph Thamby. 

One day Brother Joseph Thamby came to our house and was sleeping outside in front of the house. There was big rain at night. I woke up and called Brother Joseph Thamby so that we could sleep inside. He did not wake up. He continued to sleep outside only. I have observed that he did not get wet in spite of heavy rain. We were all surprised at this in the morning. When asked how that was possible, he said it was all God’s will. 

Once my son-in-law was struggling with stomach pain and I told about this to Brother Joseph Thamby. He blessed 4 rice pieces and gave to him and said hereafter he will not get any stomach pain. Thereafter my son-in-law had very good health. 

My second son had the problem of hernias since birth. When Brother Joseph Thamby came to our village, my son was 10 years old. I have told about the problem to Brother Joseph Thamby. He prayed over my son and he was cured in one week to ten days’ time. Many in our village believed this miracle and five to six families converted to Christianity. 

After our conversion to Christianity, I often used to visit Brother Joseph Thamby in Peddavutapally. He used to stay in a small house close to the Church given by Fr. Calderaro. When I visited him, I used to eat with him and sleep in his house. In the midnight when I woke up, I saw Brother Joseph Thamby kneeling down and praying. Seeing me he signed to go to bed and sleep. 

One day I went to Peddavutapally church for a feast and I was sitting beside Brother Joseph Thamby. I saw him that he was experiencing the five wounds of Jesus Christ on his body. For almost one hour he experienced the pain and all through he was kneeling and praying. I saw blood was oozing from his forehead, hands, feet and his side. I have witnessed his stigmata for almost ten times. I often used to go to Peddavutapally to see him and he himself used to cook food for us. 

I observed that in his house he had nothing except a vessel for cooking. I never understood from where things used to come for cooking. I have also not seen any money with him. In spite of this situation, he used to cook food for many and feed the poor and many other people who come to see him. First he used to give meals and then only ask for what they had come. He used to make people who come to him sit around him and used to bless them, teach them about mother Mary and the rosary…etc. 

He used to help the poor a lot with money and no one knows from where he gets money. He used to visit nearby villages. Sometimes he was not seen for three to four months. When he comes back home in Peddavutapally, people used to visit him and get his blessings. 

In my village after us, my relatives like my brother, my sister, my daughter and many other families in the village received baptism and became Christians. He used to visit all their families too and bless them. He used tell us to live in faith and be faithful to God. 

My brother, namely Vemuri Parandhamaiah was living in Suryaraopet, Vijayawada. He had the business of Lorries and buses. He and his family also came to faith through the efforts of Brother Joseph Thamby. After the death of Brother Joseph Thamby, my brother built a small room around his tomb. Thus, it helped people who come there to sit and pray. Brother Joseph Thamby died on 15 January 1945 in the hands of Boyapati Claramma whose family was converted to Christianity through the missionary efforts of Brother Joseph Thamby. He was buried in the cemetery of Peddavutapally parish church in the presence of Fr. Calderaro, the parish priest. 

The Holy Mass is celebrated at his tomb every year on his death anniversary. Many pilgrims come to visit his tomb and pray. 

A word about Fr. Calderaro, the parish priest of Peddavutapally; he was instrumental and worked hard for the growth and development of the parish. While Brother Joseph Thamby was alive, he did not believe him much and so he never spoke anything about him to anyone. After the death of Brother Joseph Thamby, Fr. Calderaro realized that Brother Thamby was a holy man and he used to speak about Brother Thamby to many people. 

In the name of the Father, Son and Spirit, God may bless our family! 

Manikonda Village 
Mr. Arogya Showrilu 
Ms. Susheelyamma (Wife) 
Dated: 14/1/1968

No comments:

Post a Comment