Monday 31 December 2018

TESTIMONY 1

TESTIMONY 1

Name: Fr. Joseph Surname: Chungath
Date & Place of Birth: 21 June 1904 (79 years old)
Profession / Occupation: Priest 
Address: Parish Church, Puthur, Trichur Diocese, Kerala
Relationship: Direct Witness
Date of Interview: 19 August 1983 

Brother Joseph Thamby was sent by Archbishop Attipetty to Nadathara Church where I was an assistant priest to Rev. Msgr. Mathew Murigathery (1939), the chaplain of Nadathara convent and parish priest of Nadathara Church. However, I was at that time, not only the assistant priest to Nadathara parish Church but also I was the parish priest of Puthur Church near which there was a Latin Church where two lay brothers under archbishop Joseph Attipetty of Varapoly were living in connection with the mission work of the archbishop. Brother Joseph Thamby was often staying with them after his journey here and there in northern and central Kerala. 

This is how I came to know Joseph Thamby for the first time. Only reluctantly did he say anything about his family or relatives. On meeting me, in a polite manner he asked me to be his spiritual director and I agreed to it. As I went on enquiring his whereabouts, he shared with me many experiences and happenings of his life from childhood onwards. He told me that he had a very hard time at home in Pondicherry, particularly after the death of his mother. His daddy married a second time and the step-mother disliked him. She even persecuted him, and denied food to him several times. 

At the age of 12 he fled from home, and reached Ernakulam in Kerala, where he was taken care of and educated by a motherly woman. At the age of 25, he was inspired to leave all, including that devout woman, that house where he lived for many years, and embarked on a life of the hermit, devoting himself completely to prayer, searching for life’s meaning. As he was traveling he begged food for his life, and spent his time in reading good books. Once thus he came across the biography of St. Francis of Assisi, read it and was inspired to live the Franciscan ideals. Within a few years he advanced in his prayer life and was taken to fervent devotion to Jesus Christ Crucified. Some good person gave him the prayer to the five wounds of Christ, and he used it for his prayer. 

Brother Joseph Thamby told me that he had evangelized for some time in Pondicherry and extended his mission to Andhra Pradesh to give a helping hand to the Bishop of Vijayawada. In this connection, he came to Ernakulam again with the aim of gathering funds for the mission. But as he was going about at Ernakulam begging for money for the mission, the policemen in Ernakulam suspected him to be a cheat and started troubling him. He then took refuge in the presence of Archbishop Joseph Attipetty who had started a little mission in Puthur in Thrissur district. After consoling him, the saintly Archbishop asked him to go to Puthur mission where there was a chapel built in honor of St. Antony and two brothers of his Congregation were living there. Brother Joseph Thamby was expected to give a helping hand to them. He also told me that very often he was scolded by the Bishop of Vijayawada as the money he collected was often spent on the way giving to the poor and hungry beggars. 

Brother Joseph Thamby used to sleep at night in the Mission Church at Puthur (Ponnukara) from where he used to go to Trichur Latin Church to hear Mass and to receive Holy Communion. It was only to me that he at times came to hear Mass, as I am a Syrian priest. On 28th January 1939, he told me he had the chance of hearing my Mass at Puthur Church and he had caught sight of my face. So he could recognize me at Nadathara. Brother Joseph Thamby told me that he was urged in his ecstasy to come to Nadathara and thus he came to me on a Friday in the lent of 1939 at 1 p.m. I took him to the parlour of the convent and gave him the lunch. Soon after lunch he was busy to take me to Bungalow where he was seated on the bench and I in the chair in front of my table on which there a was a crucifix which is still in my room. Then I was keenly observing him as he was in agony about 20 minutes. And he suffered a lot as he was bending, fell on the floor. I was willingly keeping silence owing to my indifference because I wanted to test him. After a while he requested me a piece of cloth and I gave him some old cloth with which he wiped the wounds and he returned the blood stained cloth to me. I took the same cloth to Trichur civil hospital after wards to be tested through Rev. Mother Mary Agnes, mother superior of hospital convent of Carmelite sisters at Trichur where those sisters were serving in the civil hospital, Trichur. Mother Agnes tested it in the hospital laboratory and found it to be genuine human blood. I did not take the tested cloth back because I did not take much care to get it from the hospital laboratory, thus I lost it. I did not ask the sisters, about it. Later on more than five times I had the chance to witness his agony and get my handkerchiefs wiped with the blood. Now those kerchiefs though faded in colour are with me. I have got a Bead of Brother Joseph Thamby’s Rosary, after his death through my friend a military man who was at Jancy at the period in which Brother Joseph Thamby had passed away. I don’t know who sent it to me perhaps it may be a bead of a rosary which Brother Joseph Thamby had given to somebody who came to know that desired to get it as a relic. I covered that bead with the bloodstained cloth; I keep it now as a relic. 

Now I may narrate some secret things, which was connected with his mission and me. In the first ecstasy, he had told me that I would be prepared to accept some favours from our Lord such as suffering some pain in His Name. Then I, in a soft way, rebuked him thinking it as his flattery and he took it in good sense and changed the talk promising me his prayers. Then he went to Ponnukara after asking me to prepare some money in order that he may return to Vijayawada. After a few days he came to Nadathara and he narrated his mission works. 

In my remembrance, Brother Joseph Thamby had interest in as he was moved by some urge which he felt to execute through my instrumentality. For example, on the day after his first visit when he came, he requested whether I got anything for his journey to Vijayawada. In accordance with my promise I told him that I did not get any Mass stipend in those days. So he immediately told me whether I would be ready to visit some houses for begging for his help. I readily admitted and we started the visit. First I went to the North side of the parish and went to a rich person’s house. And when we were about to reach the gate of the house, Brother Joseph Thamby was very reluctant to proceed and asked me that we may return without entering that house as if he had some difficulty to enter there. Yet I entered the house as he was waiting at the gate and I received one rupee from the owner of the house. On returning Brother Joseph Thamby told me, “That house does not deserve our visit.” From this I now infer that Brother Joseph Thamby could read the mind of that person. Then we started to visit the eastern side of the parish. About two miles away there is a house named Parayil. The owner of that house was sick. His daughter, Annamma, a widow, was consulting with me to join a congregation in which widows to be received as nuns. I had also intention to see that sick man and to beg money as well. As soon as I entered the house the sick man was not willing to make confession though he was unwell. I advised him to prepare for confession while he was promising to make it on another day. In the meantime, Brother Joseph Thamby approaching me requested my consent to talk a few words to the old man. I was surprised to hear his zealous words, which he uttered very convincingly and imposingly. Of course the language was Malayalam mixed with Tamil. Suddenly old man was moved to make confession at that same moment. Then Brother Joseph Thamby began to pray for that old man. Brother Joseph Thamby in his talk had reminded the old man that he had something to restitute to the Church. As a result of the advice of Brother Joseph Thamby, the old man decided to make confession and I heard his confession. From this I conclude that the old man’s change of mind was due to the zealous advice of Brother Joseph Thamby. 

Here I like to mention an important experience with Brother Joseph Thamby. On the first day soon after the word he had predicted concerning me such as the favour from our Lord, I was ready to accept it but I softly rebuked about which he took no consideration. 

While we were going to Kozhukillikara, two miles east of Nadathara, on the way some Kumbakarans were waiting for Brother Joseph Thamby to beg some money. Brother Joseph Thamby was standing and giving some alms with conversation in Telugu to the Kumbakarans. For example “Akkada” (there), “Ikkada” (here) etc., the two Telugu language words that I know, were learned from my loving Brother Joseph Thamby. 

On that evening we went to the cemetery of the Church at Nadathara and spent some time in prayer. Then we sat on the steps of the cemetery altar. He then began to narrate an incident, which he had experienced a little time ago. In a certain place he had met some converts who used to attend his advice and prayers especially on Sundays. One day he had gone for his usual program to talk to them and to give them his advice. On that day nobody had come there and he was very sorrowful. He told its reason, as it was the harvest season they might have gone for reaping. So he immediately went to the cemetery; and prayed to the souls, “My dear souls in purgatory you come to hear my words as my people had not come to hear me.” Suddenly a few white dressed people appeared and he just thanked them for their presence. 

On our returning from the cemetery we went to the chapel for visit. Then we met Mother Ursula on the veranda of the convent chapel and Brother Joseph Thamby told me that Mother Ursula should be consoled by me, as she was sincere and pious. Brother Joseph Thamby asked me to take care of her spiritual life. I was surprised to know about Brother Joseph Thamby’s knowledge about Sr. Ursula. Moreover he instructed me that she can be relied and be confided to write about relations between Brother Joseph Thamby and myself. And from that day onwards I began to dictate about Brother Joseph Thamby in a book and unfortunately I lost that book when my bungalow and room were rearranged, transferred. 

On the very first day when Brother Joseph Thamby came, I had told him that I would seek financial help from Rev. Paul Chazoor who was my classmate. Now I think that it was divine plan that forced me to go to Fr. Chazhoor because I did not get any remuneration for my services at Nadathara Church. 

However, my benefactor in Holland had sent some money as Christmas gift in 1936. I had put that money in the savings A/c. Although the money was in the bank I did not think of drawing any money from the bank to give to Brother Joseph Thamby. So I made up my mind the next morning to get sanction from my Vicar Fr. Murigathery to go to Ampazhakad to meet Fr. Chazhoor together with Brother Joseph Thamby. In that situation I sent Brother Joseph Thamby alone to Ampazhakad and I promised to reach Ampazhakad by evening. I could get a little money from the bank for bus charge. 

Now I should mention a few words about previous night before going to Ampazhakad when Brother Joseph Thamby was seated on the bench and he had the second ecstasy at which I used my washed kerchief to wipe the blood clotted in the palm. The same kerchief is still with me. At the close of “stigmata” I asked him a question “Brother why did you make these signs and tests for me.” Then he answered “Father, it is not for you but for those who hear you”. That means I had my strong faith and confidence in the power of God even without sings or miracles. He also admitted perhaps my internal thought in questioning about his mission of coming to me. Moreover it was not a Friday although from his talk I heard that he had often ecstasy on Friday. Thus after his ecstasy and talk were over, we went to bed. 

The next morning at Nadathara we both went to the chapel where the time of meditation before Mass started as it was on the opposite side. Rev. Sisters of the convent were making their meditation while we both making our meditation in the sacristy where I knelt on the kneeler which was arranged in such a way that there was a hanging crucifix on the wall on which Brother Joseph Thamby and myself were looking at the crucifix which is still with me. I have kept it covered with the blood stained kerchief. Alas the brother was in ecstasy at that time. Sr. Ursula and other sisters were observing the ecstasy from the other side. Now as I did not give my kerchief, he managed with his own kerchief. After meditation, I said Mass in which both Brother Joseph Thamby and sisters received communion from me. It was with difficulty that distributed communion, as my right hand was paralyzed. Soon after the Mass, the sisters went from the prayer hall and Brother Joseph Thamby locked the tabernacle which was done without my request but by his own accord. As he had known that my hand was paralyzed in accordance with his prediction at the first ecstasy of course it happened when I was in the chapel of the hospital convent at Trichur at the time when finished hearing confession of a few Carmelite sisters (C.M.C). 

After breakfast at the convent we went to Fr. Vicar who was at Trichur then, as he was also the Director of St. Mary’s Orphanage, Trichur. He gave me the sanction to go for all my affairs I asked. Thus I asked Brother Joseph Thamby to go Ampazhakad alone while I promised to reach the place after my journey to a convent at Irinjalakuda to hear confession. This time I can very well say that Brother Joseph Thamby had advised me to continue my work of going to hear confession of those who will request for the same even with difficulties. Still I continue the same Mission although I am now 79 years old. 

When I reached Ampazhakad, it was about 7.30 p.m. Rev. Fr. Paul Chazhoor was talking with Brother Joseph Thamby who had the “Stigmata.” He might have told him also that it was owing to my direction that he went to him instead of coming together with me. However that night many a time, Brother Joseph Thamby had visions and experiences of stigmata. I told Brother Joseph Thamby about Fr. Paul’s readiness to help with money as he used to hear my suggestions to help the poor. After supper at 9 p.m., we three talked about my program of next morning. In the program I suggested that I would say Mass at the morning and asked the help of sacristan for early Mass at which Fr. Paul Chazhoor consented to arrange for the same and I fixed my program to say Mass at 6 a.m. I went to bed in the veranda. I prayed and slept when Brother Joseph Thamby and Paul Chazhoor were conversing. To my surprise, at 3 a.m., I woke up and I saw Brother Joseph Thamby coming towards me telling, we must start before 6 a.m. So I dropped the idea of saying mass at Ampazhakad and started to Puliyilakunnu through where Bus will come from Puliyilakunnu to Pudukad. From Puliyilakunnu we traveled upto Pudukad and said Mass at convent chapel. I had a plan to hear confession at Pudukad and Chowka. After Mass Brother Joseph Thamby shut the doors of Tabernacle as I had difficulty on my hand. Brother Joseph Thamby followed me to Chowka from Pudukad. 

When we reached the Chowka convent I heard confession of sisters while Thamby was taking rest on a bench in the school. At that time a young man Jacob N.J. came to see me. Then Jacob went to Brother Joseph Thamby. Soon Brother Joseph Thamby had the “stigmata.” He revealed to Jacob about the sins, which Jacob had not properly confessed while he was waiting for receiving confirmation. Brother Joseph Thamby revealed his hidden sins. At this N.J. Jacob was sorrowful and he made true confession weeping that evening with Brother Joseph Thamby. 

We returned to Trichur and parted with him. At that night I had a dream in which Brother Joseph Thamby asked me to come soon to Trichur Latin Church. I woke up from the dream and in the dream I had the directions to Latin Church at Trichur. 

I wanted a rickshaw and asked the help of Mr. Pylee who was a communist and my friend. Pylee told “It is difficult to call a rickshaw at 4 a.m. and we shall walk to Trichur.” The secret is that Mr. Pylee also had agreed to come with and we went to Trichur Latin Church. When we reached at Trichur Latin Church it was 6 a.m. When I enquired about Brother Joseph Thamby, I was introduced by the parish priest to him and one day more he stayed with me at Nadathara. After that he had strongly advised to make a treatment in order to cure my disease on my hand, the paralysis due to which Brother Joseph Thamby helped me to close the tabernacle. Not less than 3 times, those 3 days when he was with me, it was he who shut the door of the Tabernacle. 

After returning from cemetery as it was said before, Brother Joseph Thamby had “stigmata” at Nadathara; one special thought I had in my mind to confirm about the genuineness of the stigmata that I wanted and extraordinary occurrence. I prayed to Jesus that he should not get his legs separated from the nail or the tie of the legs, which were as if nailed at the time of stigmata until I would say satisfied or convinced. I had not examined this upto that time. Alas! I had not used to look curiously because I had more faith and belief in those occurrences of genuine. I thought that Brother Joseph Thamby himself will ask for my help to get rid of the nail position of the two legs which were not separated until my words. Alas! Thamby was in extreme pain and he told me that “my legs are not getting free”. I asked, Is it? All right, very soon, I replied. In the mean time I prayed to God, and then I was convinced about the stigmata. And after the vision he consoled me that I will be bold to administer the sacrament of confession without carrying the criticism. One thing is certain that his words are always remembered and I do remember the first time when he came and the Stigmata was revealed to me. At that time he said to me that “at least I should be careful when I take my chalice that I should keep my hands very pure. I did not ever forget that advice. 

After 1939 lent, I met Brother Joseph Thamby at 10:40 in Madras. Before that I had received some letters from (Jancy, Vijayawada etc.,) Brother Joseph Thamby but my letters were all lost. 

The story of our meeting Brother Joseph Thamby at Royapuram in Madras was a wonderful event. When I started from Trichur, I went first to Trichinapally to see some sisters of Holy Cross convent and then I went to Madras to take back my sick mother from the Hospital. As I was late when the train reached at Egmore in Madras at 9:30 a.m., I was ashamed to ask the help of general hospital sisters to say my Mass as it was late. So also I refused to go to park town chapel near General hospital. I resolved to go Royapuram side where there was chapel, where I thought of requesting the help of the sacristan though a bit late such 10 a.m. However I was having the hope of getting the help of the sacristan of the Church. As soon as I reached the Church Brother Joseph Thamby came out of the Church greeting me “A C H A N O” i.e. is it father? And he told me that they had no Mass at that Church as the parish priest had gone for retreat. My joy knew no bounds, because Brother Joseph Thamby was my friend and I could see him in Madras. He immediately asked me to hear his confession. Soon I said Mass and Brother Joseph Thamby and some men received communion from me. From there, he followed me and we went to the general hospital, Madras and I went to my mother who was sick and Brother Joseph Thamby told her “Mother Dolours is lying seeing his son (myself)” while I was seeing my mother Brother Joseph Thamby promised his prayers and he went to the corridor of the hospital and he sat for a while. 

That evening I said to my mother that I would take her by that evening train to Trichur and Brother Joseph Thamby and I started to the chapel of “Park Town” where I had previously said Mass. There happened a wonder. 

When I went to the chapel, Brother Joseph Thamby was praying and there he was sitting on the first row of the bench. I was followed by one Mr. Ionappan P.D. a medical student of Trichur Diocese, Kerala. Ionappan wanted to make his confession with me when I looked to Brother Thamby who gave me sign that I might hear the confession of Ionappan just like Brother Joseph Thamby had once told me to hear the confession of N.J. Jacob. Now remember that man had a complicated affair for which my advice was needed. That advice changed his life in Madras medical college, where he had fallen in love with a medical student a Hindu girl, of 3rd year course in MBBS. I advised him to make a test such as the proposed girl might enter Catholic Church and he left the girl and returned to his native place without completing the course. When I went to my mother after leaving Brother Joseph Thamby with Ionappan, he took Brother Joseph Thamby to medical college hostel. Then Ionappan told me that he had the mishap of seeing Brother Thamby being laughed at by the medical students who did not take seriously the piety of Brother Thamby. Ionappan in the evening told me that he caused unsatisfactory event (being laughed at) to Brother Thamby and he wanted to make confession at the door at the train on as showing signs of restlessness or craziness. It was only after a few months treatment that he was cured. However he became a high school Teacher and got married living in his native place at Engandiyoor in Trichur Diocese. 

In his last talk at Nadathara he told about his stay at Pondicherry and ‘Malia Peninsula’. He had also gone different places in India i.e. Jancy and other northern places. He had received letters from his friends or converts of those places. Always he was in need of money and by his request wrote to my brother in Ceylon namely C.V. Varghese who also used to send money to him. In his talk one day Brother Joseph Thamby told that one day he saw my brother C.V. Varghese who is at Ceylon at the same time. 

Brother Joseph Thamby used to tell about his stigmata in a humble way explaining it as a disease to hide it from other. His signature was in English. I had letters from him till 1944. I used to send him money at times especially while he was at Jancy. After 1944, I had no letters from him. In 1944 when I went to Vijayawada at St. Ann’s hospital, I enquired about Brother Joseph Thamby to the mother superior of the hospital. She asked me how I know that he is a good man. Immediately, I told her that he was saintly and a friend of mine, many a time he came to me and talked with me and I have seen his stigmata about 6 times. Immediately mother superior knelt down and prayed for the soul. He did not say anything about his family further and that he was in so many places in India. 

This extravagant love for Christ crucified drove this hermit Joseph Thamby into ardent contemplation on the sufferings of Christ for long hours on end, especially at night. This passionate love for Christ in his Passion and his prayer gazing at the crucifix caused an unusual anguish in this holy man and the shedding of blood. I believe that he had profound mystic experience and almost effortlessly he could live in the actual presence of God and relish the spiritual joy. 

N.B: Rev. Brother Joseph Thamby had met Fr. Chungath in 1939 and both of them were in contact here and there. Fr. Chungath had some important experience with Brother Joseph Thamby who is now popular with many pious people. Fr. Chungath also had met him in 1941 at Madras. 

Fr. Joseph Chungath 
Dated: August 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment