Sunday 2 December 2018

TESTIMONY 29

TESTIMONY 29

Name: Francis 
Surname: Boyapati 
Date & Place of Birth: 16 January 1897 (73 years old), Avutapally 
Address: Boyapati Francis, Calderaro Nagar, Avutapally Village and Post, Unguturu Mandal, Vijayawada, Krishna District 
Relationship: Direct Witness. Boyapati Francis (Basavayya) and his wife (Sitaramamma) Claramma have accepted Christian faith and were baptized on 22 July 1939 due to Brother Joseph Thamby’s proclamation of God’s word to them. 
Date of Interview: 1970 –Interviewed by Fr. Avito Pottukulam, OFM Cap, Parish Priest of Avutapally. He wrote the first biography, “A Short Biography of Brother Joseph Thamby” in 1972. 

Grandmother of my wife (Claramma’s paternal grandmother), Temuri Subbamma, had broken her leg and was suffering severely due to pain and swelling. So we brought her to our home and wrapped her leg with clothes. As the leg of the elderly woman became swollen severely, the father of my servant came to my house to see her condition. He told us that there is a certain monk (Brother Joseph Thamby) living near the Church in Avutapally; that he had seen him playing badminton with the parish priest (Fr. J. B. Calderaro). As they were playing, snake bit him. He said that it would not do any harm to him. 

Realizing that the monk was a very special kind of person, I went and requested the priest to send that monk to my house. The priest, Fr. Calderaro said: “He is not here; I will send him to your home when he comes”. I went home and we waited for the monk. After some time he came to my house. When we asked him to do something for the elderly woman, he said: ‘There are three evil spirits in your house. I would not enter unless with the permission of the Father’. So I went again to the Church and asked the permission. The priest said: ‘Do not worry; permission is granted; you can go.’ I came back home hasting and told the monk about it all. Soon he entered the house, blessed the patient and went away. 

On the following day, I heard that he was in THelaprolu. So I went there and brought him. Going near her bed side, he asked: ‘Old woman! Get up.” She got up. He blessed her and asked: ‘Are you feeling better?’ The old woman said: ‘Yes’. The monk directed her saying: ‘Go home to your village; your grandsons will look after you’. Then, suddenly, to the surprise of us all, the monk narrated old woman’s life history. Then our curiosity increased and we asked him to tell about us, too. He gave a picture of Mother Mary, Infant Jesus and Joseph along with a prayer book and asked us to read from the book daily and pray in our own way. We are quite happy and are praying daily. The members in my home felt haunted by some invisible force. We asked the monk Joseph Thamby to help us. In his kindness he built an altar in our house. Monk Joseph Thamby taught us about Christian religion, spoke to us about Jesus and in due time he helped us to receive Baptism. 

Sometime later, the brother of my wife was suffering from some disease. When we told him about it and that the patient was in my house, he came to visit him in my house. Joined with the monk, we prayed for him and soon he became alright. Thereupon, he expressed his desire to receive baptism. He told his sister: “It would be better for me if your monk were here”. As soon as he said this, the monk Joseph was there. With surprise we asked: “When did you come?” He replied: “Just now”. Then he told me and my wife: “You are going to have a son within a year.” Soon the monk went away, and the priest came in and gave him Baptism. After 10 months, according to Thamby’s prophecy my first son, Balaswamy was born. 

There are many other favors that my family members received through the power of intercession of Brother Joseph Thamby. 

My second daughter Vimalamma was suffering from some ailment for seven years. When told about it to Joseph Thamby, he said that he would pray. He also told to eat 3 grains on the following day when she takes rice grains for cooking. She did it, and her ailment went off. 

So also, she had some sores on her foot. It was not healed by treatment. When we asked Brother Joseph Thamby to provide some medicine for her, he gave some medicine specially prepared of mud and told her to apply it on the sores. It was done and after three days the sores disappeared. 

A similar blessing was received by my third daughter also. Then he blessed her and said: “The sores will go.” It so happened as he said. 

Another favor was received by my forth child that was slow to speak. When we brought the child to Brother Thamby, he blessed the child and gave to the mother saying: “Now onwards he will speak well.” 

He would never complain about the offence or humiliation he had to endure at the hands of others. I recall a miraculous incident: once the annoyed parish priest asked Brother Joseph Thamby to go away from his presbytery. So, bent with sadness he was going alone to the railway station. There two angels appeared to him on the road, asked him to return to Avutapally. He returned to Avutapally and directly came to my house. When I asked him why he returned so soon, he told all things that had happened. Though I asked him to stay in my house, he did not agree; he went away, saying that he would sleep near the Church. But in fact, he went away somewhere else. The day he went away, the village caught on fire. Next day he came back again to my home. 

In the fire accident my elder daughter’s house also was burnt. She was brought to my house. Someone said that Satan was troubling her. Hearing this, Brother Thamby told us to send her back to her own house, but we did not have the courage to send her away in that condition. Next day this daughter had a fall, and after that she went to her house. At this juncture, we requested the parish priest to bless my house and he blessed it. After that he administered the sacrament of Baptism to her; thereupon all her troubles vanished. 

When Brother Thamby was absent for a month, I felt deep sadness. At that time one man said, brother was in the house of my brother-in-law. Next day, I went to the Church to attend Holy Mass and received Holy Communion. On that occasion, I saw Brother Thamby. After the Holy Mass, as I asked him, how he came, he said that he ‘just came’. As he was saying, we heard the noise of the train passing. Mail came just now, I said, to this he replied: “All is God’s will.” I am an eye-witness to his special power. 

Now I can mention another wonder that I witnessed. During the Lent of forty days he wasfasting and had suffering due to stigmata. Once after the agony and sweating of blood he said to me:‘I will die after 3 months and 15days.’ He made coffee decoction. During those days of Lent he was just living on that coffee decoction, without milk. After three months, on 15of January 1945, in the morning he came to my house. Why did you come here? I asked. To this he annexed: “The parish priest is planning to get the Doctor to treat me. So I came here”. 



Even though he was sick, he did not wish to be attended to by any one; not to be treated in the hospital. He was prepared to die as the Lord wanted. In the morning, I was getting ready to go to the Church; for, that was the feast of St. Paul, the Hermit. But Brother Thamby told me not to go, and made the sign of the cross on my tongue. That morning I did not go for the Mass. After a couple of hours the parish priest sent the cook (Mr. Madanu Showry) to my house to see if Brother were there. He also told the Brother that he would be taken to the hospital at Bandar. Then the Brother told him: ‘Don’t tell the parish priest that I am here’. The cook replied: ‘If I don’t say the truth, I will die’. Then Brother Thamby said the following words in a mysterious manner: “Your children, after birth grow up and die. I shall give you a blessing. Now you can go away.” Saying “Alright”, the cook returned. Brother Joseph said, “Within a short time, I am going to die.” I remember that the evening of that day he died. 

Hearing that Brother Joseph Thamby died, within a short time, many people came to my house and visited the dead body, and the body was taken to the house where he lived. On the following day, he was buried by the parish priest in the parish cemetery. 

About the family background of Brother Joseph Thamby and his relation to his family members, I can truly witness basing on what I heard from him and read from his personal diary. After the birth of our first son BalaSwamy through the intercession of Brother Joseph Thamby, my faith in him increased. My wife Claramma and I accepted Christian faith and were converted to the Catholic Church. Soon Brother Joseph Thamby became a frequent visitor to our home, and we became very close friends. Claramma and I were eager to know more about Brother Thamby’s family, his younger days, how he expressed his love for God and why he ventured into arduous life. Thus we asked him lot of things. 

At first he was reluctant to tell us anything about himself. But as we grew in deeper confidence, he told us many things of his past life. I was very much impressed and inspired by him, particularly by his devotion to Jesus Crucified and the amount of sacrifice that he made in order to bring people closer to the Lord. Once confidentially he gave me his personal diary for reading. I read it once, and kept it with me for reading again. After some months, he asked it back from me, and said that he needed it. After some time, again I asked for the dairy to continue reading it; but then he told me that Fr. Calderaro asked him to destroy it, and so he burnt it. He told me that God was asking him to bring as many people as possible to Christian faith and Catholic Church. 

I can witness to what he told me about the suffering he endured while he was a young boy at home. His step mother inflicted a lot of pain on him, and so at the age of 12, he went away from home in Pondicherry and reached Kerala. At the age of 25, he was inspired to live as a hermit and started living as a pilgrim. At the age of 41, he joined Capuchin friars and became a Franciscan Tertiary. Later he travelled to many places in India to help people to know Jesus Christ the Savior. 

Due to certain inner urge and inspiration he aspired to live as a hermit and pilgrim. Thus he lived for many years. His life was one of suffering when he was in Kerala and when he worked in and around Pondicherry and in Kumbakonam among the tribal people. But Joseph Thamby was very fervent in his spirit of Evangelization. That is why he went around in Kerala and Tamil Nadu, and finally came to Andhra Pradesh. He told me that the Lord Jesus preached faith in God and salvation for all people; that we ought to continue what Jesus Christ did once. His holy Gospel must be proclaimed to wider circles of people till it is spread to the ends of the earth. His love for Christ and charity to the people urged him to learn the languages of various people and indeed Brother Thamby tried to speak the language of new people in new places. Although with great difficulty, he picked up Telugu language, speaking with children and workers in the fields. 

His life style was that of a wanderer and spiritual preacher. Brother Joseph Thamby spent a great deal of time in silent personal prayer, and truly appeared to be a man of prayer and with spiritual power for healing. To speak about Jesus the Savior he used to visit houses after houses, irrespective of caste and religion. The following is the context I came to know him first. 

One day when I returned from the field, I saw Brother Joseph Thamby already welcomed into our house by my wife Sitaramma. She was greatly impressed by the spiritual power of this person who once came near our house and asked for drinking water, and Sitaramma gave him buttermilk to drink. Seeing his demeanor she took him for a man of God and asked for his prayer. He promised prayer, and after a few days again he visited our home to speak of Jesus and his power. He was kind to visit us though we were Kammas. 

Brother Joseph Thamby told us that he liked to read spiritual books, the Bible and the Lives of the Saints. That was how he came across the Life of St. Francis of Assisi and became enamored of the Franciscan Spirituality and Third Order. When he knew that the Capuchins were in Kollam he went there and joined them. It was there that he became a Franciscan Tertiary. 

Brother Joseph Thamby told us that he liked to read spiritual books, the Bible and the Lives of the Saints. That was how he came across the Life of St. Francis of Assisi and was enamored by the Franciscan Spirituality and the Franciscan Third Order. When he knew that the Capuchins were in Quilon he went there and remained with them. It was there that he became a Franciscan Tertiary. 

Brother Joseph Thamby had elephantiasis on his right leg and for that reason he had to discontinue the community life with the Capuchins in Quilon. However, he did not count the cost of walking with his swollen leg from village after village, house after house in order to pray for the sick people. The Catholics as well as Hindus loved this compassionate and saintly, praying young hermit. They found much joy in offering him things that were necessary for his daily sustenance. When Joseph Thamby found non-Christians disposed to profess Christian faith and receive the Sacrament of Baptism, he approached priests of the nearby parishes and requested their help. Those parish priests in turn happily responded to his request and baptized those who were ready for it. Brother Joseph Thamby told us that this is how Jesus brought him into contact with me, my family and the other families in and around Avutapally. 

As a gentle missionary Brother Joseph Thamby gave some country medicines to several sick people and healed them. His special delight was to teach catechism to the children, all of whom he loved with tenderness. Soon Brother Thamby became a friend of the children, the guide to the villagers and consoler in their affliction. He was eager to take to everyone the joy of living with faith in Jesus. That was his deepest thirst for himself and for other people. He was literally running from place to place, without stop, without thinking of rest or relaxation. 

Brother Joseph Thamby fervently loved his neighbors. His love and service to them were not mere expressions of natural instinct. He recognized all people as children of God and saw in others the countenance of Christ himself. 

Brother Joseph Thamby was very prudent in his approach and judgments. He was careful to ask the advice of the parish priest and follow his guidance. The manner in which he arranged for our Baptism is a concrete example. Our faith in Brother Joseph Thamby and in Jesus increased, and he gave us instruction about Jesus, regarding Christian faith, Salvation and the sacrament of Baptism. We, then, expressed our earnest desire to be baptized and to join the Catholic Church. In due time, Brother Joseph Thamby discussed the matter with the parish priest and made all the arrangements for our Baptism. I remember that the parish priest, Fr. Calderaro baptized us in the mid-night for fear that other Kammas might be infuriated and offended by our conversion. 

Brother Joseph Thamby spontaneously and joyously endured hard things of life. He ventured into situations of suffering, even at the risk of his life. For instance I should mention the following incidents. His fervor in evangelizing the non-Christians is what made him a pioneer missionary and urged him to venture into the unknown fields and forests of Kumbakkonam diocese. Urged by his missionary zeal he visited families of the tribal people one after another to tell them about Jesus the Savior and his love. He thus came in contact with thousands of illiterate people who lived in the interior of the forest. When Joseph Thamby came to the rescue of the oppressed tribal people, he was beaten up by the forest guards. 

In one stage he travelled beyond Pondicherry and came to a place called Manathidal, in the diocese of Kumbakonam. The village was one of the sub-stations of Michaelpetty parish. Brother Joseph Thamby took the initiative of going round the village to meet the illiterate farmers working in the fields. He prayed for them and healed their ills. 

Regarding the life of prayer of the Servant of God, Brother Joseph Thamby, I can testify that he is very powerful in his intercession. It was his spirit of prayer that sustained him in his labors of evangelization. He told me that when he appeared as a vagabond in Manathidal, some Catholics suspected him to be a cheat. They carefully watched his movements; but before long by divine providence they perceived that he was a genuine ‘Sanyasi’, who was very earnest in praying for long time in or near churches. The villagers found that he was very humble and loving towards all. He was remarkably considerate to all people who had suffering due to any cause. With his God-given gift, he healed the sick and relieved them of their pain. Without exaggeration, I can witness that he loved all people with a sincere heart. He considered no one as an enemy to him although he had lot of sufferings in the new places. The tribal people found him simple and jovial like a little child. With their welcoming attitude they happily gave him food and shelter. 

He received great encouragement from Catholic priests and people. It was his habit to call the people whenever they had some free time, for common prayer in the little churches in their respective villages. Brother Joseph Thamby made use of these occasions to talk to them about Jesus Christ the Savior, the Christian Faith, the Catholic Church and the Sacraments, through which Divine Life flow into us. The spirit of Franciscan brotherliness and sharing was so strong in him that many a time he collected clothes and alms for the poor and distributed them to those tribal people who were in need. Many were attracted by his missionary zeal, humble demeanor, attitude of service and helping nature. 

Brother Joseph Thamby had many extraordinary spiritual gifts, such as power of healing and bi-location. He was aware of them and made use of them for the benefit and edification of others. Once when he was absent for a month, I felt deep sadness. At that time one man said, he was in the house of my brother-in-law. Next day, I went to the church to attend holy Mass and received Holy Communion. On that occasion, I really saw Brother Joseph Thamby. After the Holy Mass, as I asked him, how he came, he said that he just came. As he was saying, we heard the noise of the train passing. Mail came just now, I said. To this he replied: “All is God’s will”. I am an eye-witness to his special power. 

(Mr. Francis Boyapati died on 17 August 1978 at the age of 81)

No comments:

Post a Comment