Thursday 1 November 2018

TESTIMONY 59

TESTIMONY 59

Name: Ms. Mariamma 
Surname: Jampana 
Date & Place of Birth: 60 years old, Telaprolu 
Profession / Occupation: House wife 
Address: Telaprolu Village, Unguturu Mandal, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh State 
Relationship: Direct Witness 
Date of Written Witness: 2006

Brother Joseph Thamby was very much devoted to Mother Mary. Most of the time, when we, children came to the hut (house) of Brother Joseph Thamby after the school, he taught us to recite the holy Rosary. 

Brother Joseph Thamby was interested in talking about Jesus and prayer. At the age of 5, I saw Brother Joseph Thamby for the first time and I knew him ever after that for nearly seven years. The parish priest of Avutapalli used to come to the little Church in our Telaprolu village and celebrate Holy Mass only once a month. One day Brother Joseph Thamby came to our village and attended the Holy Mass with great devotion. After the Mass, he talked to us children as well as elderly people. We found him a very loving person and we liked him very much. 

After that on the following Sunday, when the Parish Priest came to our village for the Mass, the villagers asked him to keep Brother Joseph Thamby in our village, so that he could teach us catechism and give us instruction on Christianity. The parish priest agreed to our request and arranged to make a small hut for Brother Joseph Thamby near the Church and the school. And so, Brother Joseph thamby started living there. 

Brother Joseph Thamby easily made friendship with all. Some girls who were my friends and I used to visit Brother Thamby while coming back after the class in the school. He loved us and was very happy about our regular visits. One day he asked us to cook food for him. Although we did not know to cook, I attempted to cook some rice. What was cooked for one person he served to all of us children, but without letting us see the inside of the pot. We told him: ‘Brother, the food is enough only for you, one person’. But he went on serving the food to all. At the end we looked to see whether anything is left over, but we saw that the pot was full of cooked rice. After eating we used to go to class again. 

Brother Joseph Thamby appeared to be innocent and lovable. He used to gather children and elderly people in the Church to pray the Rosary together. We felt very free with him that anybody having any illness or any difficulty used to go near him and tell all about it. With great love and compassion, he then prayed over them. He used to visit homes one after another, enquiring their wellbeing and calling them by name, children as well as their parents. To children who gathered in the Church, Brother Joseph Thamby asked who came for Sunday Mass and who did not come. It was his custom to ask them the reason for missing the Holy Mass. In an innocent way he asked them to give a slight slap on the cheek of those who did not come. We also noticed how carefully he had a list of those who absented themselves from the Sunday Mass. We enjoyed his friendliness and affection. 

Brother Joseph Thamby was very human and considerate. To me as a little girl, Brother Joseph Thamby showed personal care and concern, since I told him that many years ago my mother died, and there was only my grand-mother to take care of me. In the evenings after the school, many a time I did not go home; but went to Brother Joseph Thamby’s hut to cook food for him. I remember that there had been occasions when my grand-mother scolded me for not reaching back home after the school. 

He was very cordial and jovial to the children. Once Brother Joseph Thamby made a game of ‘hide and play’ for my grandmother. He asked me to stand in the corner of the hut; after that he asked my grand-mother to search for the grand-daughter. She searched for me in the small room and could not find me out. While grand-mother was standing outside, Brother Joseph Thamby led me from inside and brought me in front of her and gave me to her. We wondered how Brother blind-folded the old woman. I consider it as the humorous side of Brother’s character and his dealing with people. 

He was a holy person and he wanted to help us to live holy lives. Hence he instructed us to respect our parents, to love Jesus and to pray devotedly, to take care of our health, be to clean, to study well, and to be attentive while we walk along the road. Till I became 13 years old, Brother Joseph Thamby guided me in my character formation. Often it happened that he was away for some ministry or other. After the ministry when he returned we children would happily go to him and share with him as to a beloved brother all our illness or difficulties that we experienced. Always I cherish his sweet memory. 

Ms. Mariamma Jampana 
2006

No comments:

Post a Comment