Tuesday 20 November 2018

TESTIMONY 41

TESTIMONY 41

Name: Mr. Sundararao 
Surname: Yaramu 
Date & Place of Birth: Eluru 
Address: Central Excise, Eluru, West Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh State 
Relationship: Direct Witness 
Date of Written Witness: 1968

I am writing this with the experience I had with Brother Joseph Thamby. My name is Yaramu Sundararao. Before he took a permanent residence in Peddavutapally, Brother Joseph Thamby for some time lived in a hut in Telaprolu village near R.C.M. Church. In those days, my aunt was working in a hospital in Telaprolu village. I used to stay in Telaprolu village with my aunt and uncle. 

One day when I was sick, I was taken to Brother Joseph Thamby who gave black powder. I took it in my mouth and after 10 minutes I was feeling well. He used to come to our house very often. He told me to come with him for he wanted to educate me and sent me for priesthood. I did not know anything at that time and because of my ignorance, I did not go. I feel sorry for that even today. 

Meanwhile my aunt was transferred to Gollapalli village near Nuzvid. Brother Joseph Thamby was so loved by my aunt and uncle. Whenever he came, they treated him very well. Even in Gollapalli, Brother Joseph Thamby often used to visit us. My aunt and uncle used to receive him with lots of devotion and respect. Now and then, my aunt and uncle used to permit me to go to Peddavutapally to see Brother Joseph Thamby. 

In 1940 or 1941, one day he came to our house in Gollapalli. Almost for a month he stayed with us. One day after the meals in the afternoon around 3o clock, he was rolling to and fro on the cot with lots of pain and suffering. My aunt and uncle were not at home. At meals he was so fine and so I did not find any reason for his illness. Then he called me and told to bring a cloth piece. As I brought a white cloth, he caught my hand along with the cloth and put in his side for 10 minutes. Then he removed and kept the cloth on his hands. After another 10 minutes he kept it on another hand. After another 10 minutes he kept the cloth on his feet. After the pain reduced, he got up and sat on the cot smiling. The cloth was wet with the blood. I was the 14 or 15 years old. That time I did not understand what it was. I witnessed this two or three times while he was at our house. I feel now fortunate to hold tight his wounds with the cloth. My aunt and uncle preserved that cloth for two or three years and later I do not know what happened to the cloth. Later also many times, he visited us in Gollapalli village. 

In 1994, as I had to pay the fee for my S.S.L.C. exam fee, I asked Brother Joseph Thamby. He borrowed money from Fr. George, the then parish priest of Vatluru and gave it to me. I paid the fee, but before writing the exams I joined the military. After that I have not seen Brother Joseph Thamby again. 

Yaramu Sundararao 
Central Excise, Eluru 
West Godavari District

No comments:

Post a Comment